Argyle – Boyhood home of “Fighting” Bob LaFollette. First settlers came as early as 1835. Saxton House was built in 1850. Partridge Hall (now a restaurant) was built in 1878.
Belmont – First capitol of the Territory of Wisconsin in 1836. Two buildings situated near Belmont Mound State Park.
Benton – Settled in 1844 by early miners – home of Swindler’s Ridge Museum, Mazzuchelli Rectory Museum and the 1851 School House Museum.
Blanchardville – Blanchardville Historical Society houses a museum of artifacts detailing the history of Blanchardville.
Calamine – Settled in 1838. Railroad depot built in 1856. Houses and a church remain.
Darlington – LaFayette County Seat. Jamison Hamilton claimed the land in 1836 and 14 years later sold it to Joshua Darling. Historic courthouse built in 1905. Two museums. Veteran’s monument erected in 1889.
Fayette – Lead discovered in 1820’s brought first settlers to what is now Fayette Township.
Ft. Defiance – Historical marker on Highway 23 eight miles North of Darlington. The fort was built in 1832 due to threats of Indian violence.
Gratiot – Henry Gratiot came to the area searching for lead. The settlement took his name in 1838. It was originally known as Wolf’s Ford.
Jenkynsville – Primitive Methodist Church located on County H south of Highway 81 was built in 1861.
Lamont – Formed in 1889 from portions of Fayette and Wiota townships. A church and town hall remain in the village.
Leadmine – In 1870’s a cluster of miners’ cabins developed into a village with a post office, tavern, two stores, a school, town hall, two churches and an Odd Fellows Lodge. After 1900 the village dwindled.
New Diggings – Home of St. Augustine’s church built in 1844, one of twenty-five churches built by Father Sameul Mazzuchelli, respected pioneer priest.
Point of Beginnings – Historical marker notes spot where Lucius Lyons began the statewide survey of Wisconsin in 1831, (on Highway 80 at WI/IL line).
Prairie Springs Hotel – Daniel Morgan Parkinson built a small frame hotel after the Black Hawk War. It is located near Ft. Defiance about eight miles north of Darlington on Highway 23.
Shullsburg – Wisconsin’s third oldest community founded in 1827 and named after trader Jesse Shull. Home of Badger Mine and Museum.
South Wayne – First named Collins in 1880’s. Name changed to South Wayne after Revolutionary War hero “Mad” Anthony Wayne.
Wiota – (Hamilton’s Diggings) Col. William S. Hamilton and a group of miners came to the area in 1828.
Woodford – Settled in 1887 – located near Black Hawk Memorial Park.
Yellowstone Lake State Park – 455 acre lake and 4050 acres of adjoining wildlife habitat and farm land.