The Lafayette County Historical Society Depot Museum S Washington Street Darlington, Wisconsin 53530 Open weekends June, July and August Call 608-776-8340 for hours
What You Will Find at the Depot Museum - Railroad Artifacts - Agricultural Items - Florence Bennett oil paintings of LaFayette County Depots - Old Railroad maps from 1874, 1898 and 1905 - Many more displays in attached annex
History of the Depot Museum
The first depot in Darlington was a combined railroad depot and warehouse. It stood several blocks northwest of downtown Darlington.
In 1889, the present frame structure was erected one block west of Main Street. John T. W. Jennings was the architect.
The depot now stands as a monument to those who built and operated the railroad. The Darlington Kiwanis Club purchased the building and a Darlington boy Scout, working toward an Eagle Scout Award, refurbished the exterior of the building in 1983. In the spring of 1986, the LaFayette County Historical Society restored the interior of the building. Flowers were planted by a Darlington Girl Scout. Another Darlington Scout erected a flag pole and many LaFayette County residents made contributions. The Society repainted the depot building again in 1992.
In 1997, the Kiwanis Club restored a portion of the depot that was used as a warehouse by Howard Jacobson. They were not able to connect the two buildings due to a main water line. It is now connected with a wooden walkway through funds from Robert and Emaline Bond and the Kiwanis Club. Ken Johnson and Alfons Wick were the builders.
In 2006, ownership of the depot was transferred to the LaFayette County Historical Society.
In 2007, the depot and warehouse were painted by Brad and Melanie Willborn. Jim Mathys provided the paint. Frank Graham did the building repairs.
In 2011, with a grant from the Daughters of the American Revolution and matching funds from the public, a new roof was installed by Nodolf Lumber Company and McGuire Construction.
In 2014 the Depot was repainted by Randy Wolff.
In 2015 more restoration work was done by Dave Reed and a Welcome Center for the City of Darlington was added.